Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Floral Christmas Diamonds Quilt

 

I tried to switch gears to Christmas quilts, but I struggled because I only had a little bit of the fabric I wanted to work with. I have been trying so hard not to buy new fabric, so I decided to work with another collection my mom had in her stash.

 

Now, technically this is not Christmas fabric. However, from afar, it has the look of the holiday season because of the pattern, so I’m going with it.

 

 

 I had come across this neat diamond pattern on pinterest that had a solid color square in the center. It made it look like jewels to me, and this set of fabrics fit the mark perfectly.

 

 

I started cutting the diamonds out and sewing them together, and true to half-square triangle struggles, the points didn’t come out right. Oh well, that was the way it was going to be. This was my first time I’d tried this particular elongated half-square triangle so I wasn’t going to let myself stress about it.

 

 

I was working with a series of fat quarters, so I cut all the fabric to reduce leftovers and use as much in the quilt as possible. I set it on a white background so they’d really pop.

 

 

Once I got all of the diamonds done, I had to figure out layout. I played with positioning a bit before settling on the diagonal stripes. When I laid them out though, I realized the fact that their points weren’t great was going to be really obvious if they’re touching each other.

 

 

So…I decided to add strips of white sashing between the blocks so there was some separation. This helped make the points look a bit better… not so obvious.

 

True to a modern style, I did not want to add any borders to this one. The diamonds spoke for themselves. I found a nice green tone-on-tone floral fabric for the backing at the LQS, and pinned everything together for quilting.

 

 

At first I wanted to quilt a pattern in the diamonds, but I was avoiding the project because of that, which bothered me. I decided to use a basic meander on the white and leave the diamonds alone completely. I think it worked. I really like how the diamonds puff a bit from the quilt.

 

 

I rarely have the backing bunch, but somehow I had one incident on this quilt backing. Such a bummer, but it’s done and it’s not too noticeable so it’s all good. I used the last on the backing fabric to make the binding and declared this project done.

 

I like it a lot more than I thought I would. The colors are so rich, and the diamonds turned out really nice. Almost fancy. More importantly, I learned so much from working on this quilt. I am sure the elongated half-square triangle pattern will show up again in future projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment