Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Chili Verde

Funny story, during the Covid lockdown of 2021, we had a wedding anniversary. I Know, I know, a lot of people did, but ours was at a time when restaurants really couldn’t have guests so everything was takeout. I could handle that, except this particular night was supposed to be a “special” night for us.

 

 

I placed the order and made the drive to the restaurant to pick it up. It was a quick transaction and I was out the door heading home. When I got there and pulled out our dinner, I quickly realized…

This was NOT our dinner!!

I was so upset. I called the restaurant and explained the situation. They told me to come back for my order and said to keep the first one as they couldn’t do anything with it now that I’ve had it. 

 

I went and got the correct order and we enjoyed a yummy dinner. And then we enjoyed a second dinner that had items we’d never thought to order… including green chili verde.

Oh My Goodness!!! It Was Amazing!!

 

 

I had to figure out how to make this at home. It was such a great blend of flavors, and a little heat but not enough to get the kids to dislike it. The trick was; it was made with hatch chili’s from New Mexico. They are only harvested at a certain time of year, and the rest of the year they’re not available.

 

 

I began practicing with different chilis to find the right blend as I waited for Hatch Chili season. I even tried using can hatch chili’s of various varieties. It was a lot of fun playing with so many different flavors. I was finally able to come up with a recipe that hits the mark. I loved this dish. I could eat it every week…

 

 

Chili Verde

 

3 Tbs oil

2 lbs beef roast or pork butt, chopped to 1-inch pieces

3 tsp salt, divided

½ lb tomatillos, peeled and chopped

2 Hatch Chili’s, deseeded and chopped (1-4.5oz cans diced hatch chilis)

2 Anaheim (Poblano) Chili’s, deseeded and chopped

1-2 Jalepeno Peppers, deseeded and chopped

½ medium yellow onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic

1 Tbs each of ground cumin, ground coriander, oregano

2 bay leaves

3 T corn starch

2 c chicken broth (one can)

1 ½ c water

Salt and pepper to taste

 

In a large stock pot (I like cast iron enamel), Heat oil until it’s just smoking. Add half of the meat and 1tsp salt. Cook just until there’s a good sear. Remove and set aside in a bowl.  Repeat this with the other half of the meat. Sprinkle the seared meat with cornstarch and set aside.

Reheat the pan and add another 1tsp of oil. Brown the onions, then add the garlic. After just a minute, add the cumin, coriander, and oregano. Stir that for a minute to enhance the flavors, and then add the chicken broth and deglaze the pot. Finally, add the water, peppers, and tomatillos. Bring it to a boil, and then turn it down and allow this to simmer for about 20 minutes.

Once it’s had time to soften, use an immersion blender to puree everything. We like a smooth sauce, but if you want to keep some pieces, you can do less blending or no blending if you prefer.

Next, place the meat back into the pot. Add the bay leaves and taste for any additional salt or pepper needs. Put the lid on the pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 2-3 hours, until the meat is soft and tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with tortillas for soft tacos.

Store extra sauce in a Ziploc bag or half-pint jar in the freezer for up to 6 months. Use for stewing future meats, and making other recipes like the Chili Verde Enchiladas.

No comments:

Post a Comment