Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Spooky Log Cabin Quilt

I was running out of time to get as many Halloween quilts done as fast as I could.  There was just one more I wanted to complete, and hoped I could fit it in before the actual holiday hit.

 

In my efforts to use as much of the Halloween fabric as I could, I decided to make a log cabin scrappy quilt. Great way to use all those oranges and blacks, right? 

 

 

There was one catch… I had way more blacks and purples than I had oranges. I had to head to the LQS and pick up a couple more to balance out my numbers.

 

Once I had my scrappy balance, I got to work on cutting out the strips. I even made a sample block to make sure I had the right measurements. 

 

 

Full disclosure, my last log cabin I had cut the strips too long and had a lot of waste, and that’s always sad. I was determined to not let that happen again.

 

 

With all the strips cut, I got to work sewing… and immediately hit a snag. I couldn’t remember if the center was meant to be orange or black. It changes how the strips are organized in the block, and it determines whether there’s more black or orange in the finished product. After some contemplation, I was confident I had chosen wisely. I continued with my block construction.

 

 

By the time I reached the end of the blocks, I realized I had chosen poorly and now I had a stack of orange strips that weren’t going to fit in these blocks. I will have to find something else to do with those. Ha!

 

Once my stack of blocks was finished, it was just a matter of picking a layout and sewing the top together. I really liked the diagonal stripe for this quilt. The colors are so bold against each other, I felt like the layout didn’t need to be super busy too.

 

 

Once again, for the backing I used the fabric my mom had the most of and that’s the black with ghosts and bats. It’s a fun fabric so it’s perfect for a Halloween backing. 

 

 

I used a basic meander for the top; in this case the shining start is truly the bold statement these fabrics are making together.

 

I finished with a basic black binding. It created a nice frame around the top and didn’t take away from the backing, which is also a black base.

 

 

I have to admit, this was a fun one. Even though I messed up and didn’t get to use all of the strips I cut, it still turned out awesome. I am really enjoying the log cabin pattern; if I could just use the typical sizes that are readily available instead of constantly having to make my own, I’d be doing much better. 

 

 

 But where’s the fun in that? 


No comments:

Post a Comment