Friday, January 21, 2022

Fall Scrappy Irish Chain Quilt

 


Talk about a quilt by accident. I had this crazy idea in my head to make a double irish chain quilt with fall colors. As I mentioned in my blog post about my moms scrappy quilt, I had gotten all of the green blocks done and was so excited about how it was turning out. 

 

 

As I started putting together the fall colors for the alternating block, I realized a lot of the colors weren’t really “fall” like.  There wasn’t hardly any orange, but there was a lot of browns and pinks, which I wasn’t thrilled with. I wanted it to look like the mountain range covered in fall colored trees.

 

 

I decided to switch gears. I set the green chain blocks aside and finished the scrappy, colored blocks in a separate scrappy block quilt for my mom. 

 

 

Once that was done, I could get back to the green irish chain blocks I made.  I found a couple more oranges at the LQS and also used the ones in my mom’s collection that worked.  I began piecing together the fall colors, and was instantly falling in love with how bold and bright it was. 

 

 

The final step was to assemble the top. I laid it all out and put it all together before the cats could mess it up too much. 

 

 

I used the same purple fabric for the backing that I used on my moms scrappy quilt, and the quilting is a basic meander. The real star in this quilt is the shining colors.

 

 

I didn’t have any green left from the blocks, but I had another green that matched well enough for a binding. I didn’t want to bright a binding, and I didn’t want to introduce a new color.

 

 

If could change anything on this quilt, I would make it bigger. I Love the colors, the scrappy look, and it was pretty easy to put together. I will be doing more irish chains in the future; this was a fun pattern.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment