Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Quarantine UFO Series #7, Stained Glass Quilt

Like I mentioned in my last quilty  post, Hawaiian Flowers Quilt, I dragged my kiddos off to BOM quilt class every month back in 2014. They were such troopers about it, and we created great memories together. After finishing the first set of blocks (12 months = 12 blocks) I was ready to get to work on finishing it. And then I got distracted... by a new BOM that was starting for 2015... I couldn't resist.

They changed the rules a little bit for the BOM this round and I couldn't resist. We were given a strip of Ombre fabric that went from selvage to selvage. That way we had the complete spectrum of each color. What cool fabric!

 

Each block had a different pattern and it was my challenge for myself to try to keep black between each piece of color fabric and to have the color spectrum go from lightest in the center to darkest on the outer edges of the block.  Most blocks worked out great! A couple had colors against each other, and that's okay. I love how vibrant the colors are and how the black really makes them stand out.


After 12 months of block making and monthly classes, life was starting to get busier with kids starting school and preschool and everything got tabled. I had all of the blocks, the colorful scraps and a big cut of black fabric to finish it, but it wasn't happening.  Other projects that needed to be completed quickly took precedence and I hoped eventually I'd be able to get back to this one.

 


Now that I'm cleaning up and completing UFO's, it was this ones turn. I decided to use the colorful scraps to make cornerstones for the sashing and mixed them up around the quilt. Otherwise, it's all black so the color in the blocks would really be bold and pop!

 

 

For the quilting, I wanted to keep it simple on the colors so I used a black meander on the black fabric and simple squares in the center of each color in the color of that fabric. It looks really cool on the back of the quilt to see the black meander moving through the blocks. 

 

 

I didn't have a plan for the back, but I knew I wanted something that represented all the colors on the front. I found this awesome watercolor fabric that is so vibrant and bold, and yet much lighter in color. It was a great contrast to the front while still pulling on the colors. I used that same fabric for the binding, and am happy with how the colors are represented all the way around.

 

 
 

Another gem finished! So many wonderful memories sewn into this quilt. I'm so glad I finally finished it. This will be a quilt for days when things feel gloomy in the winter as the colors are so inspiring and heart-warming.

No comments:

Post a Comment