Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Classic Shredded Beef Enchiladas

 

I don’t want to blow this out of proportion, but these might be the best enchiladas ever. To understand, I have to back up a little and explain how we got here.

 

 

When the stay home orders began, there was a major rush on groceries and household supplies, and I confess it triggered a preservation gene in me. I have lots of homestead skills, but we really don’t have much of a food storage. I have always enjoyed cooking, so a lot of the storage I have is ingredients to make things. However, when it comes to proteins (aka meat) I didn’t have a ton of recipes, or supplies.

 

So here we are, trying to find recipes that will keep my food storage a working system of fresh products, and not something that sits in a closet for 20 years. During the pandemic shopping, I found a 3lb package of shredded beef. That’s right, package… not canned. I was intrigued.  What could I do with this? Would it be worth it? Would it taste better than canned beef?

 

Oh, yes… yes it does!

 

 

I am so glad I went on a whim with this one. While I often will make my own shredded beef and freeze it, it’s nice to have alternatives.  This recipe can be used with homemade, fresh shredded beef, packaged beef, or even canned beef. Any way you try it, you are going to love it.

 

 

 

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

 

1 lb shredded beef

1 4oz can diced green chiles

1 28oz can red enchilada sauce (mild or medium, depending on how spicy you want it)

2 ½ c shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided

16 corn tortillas, warmed

 

 

 Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, combine the meat, chili’s, ½ c enchilada sauce. In two 6 x 10 inch glass dishes (or one 9 x 13 inch glass dish) spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce, about ½ cup total.

Reserve about a cup of cheese to put on the top at the end. Place about ¼ c of the meat mixture along the edge of one tortilla. Sprinkle a little cheese in and roll the tortilla like a cigar. Place it in the glass dish and continue with that method until all the filling is used up. Evenly divide the enchiladas between the two dishes. Divide the remaining sauce between the 2 dishes, and pour it on top of the enchiladas. Make sure to cover the tortillas completely with sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and place in the oven.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling. If you like a little brown crisp on your cheese, turn the broiler on for a few minutes at the end of backing. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for just a few minutes before serving.

 

*I make two dishes so that I can freeze one for a quick dinner another night. Each of the two dishes serves 4-6 people.

 

This recipe was adapted from Lil Luna’s Beef Enchiladas




 

No comments:

Post a Comment