Sunday, March 24, 2024

Honey Honey Stars Quilt

 

So… what do you do when you have fabric left from a quilt you made years ago and haven’t found the perfect project for it yet? For me, I struggle throwing the leftovers into the scrap pile if it’s enough to make something else. But what to make?

Many years ago, I took a jelly roll class at a LQS using Kate Spain’s Honey Honey. To complete the quilt, I had to buy a supplement pack that I didn’t completely use. The leftovers went into a project bag and I didn’t think about it for a long time.

As I continue to try and work through old fabrics and projects, I pulled this one out and was inspired. I went onto my quilting program and designed a block that used white to balance out the minimal amount of fabric I had.


I was so happy that I was able to get 14 blocks out of the leftover fabrics. To make the quilt top a little bigger, and to create more white contrast, and made the sashing pretty wide. I laid the pieces out and was bummed there was still a little bit of fabric left.

 So… I decided to make stars with what was left, and they fit perfect as corners to my sashing. They also create a nice little shimmer of interest through the top. Finally, I needed a border to pull the whole thing together. I looked in my stash and was excited to find I still had some leftovers from the backing of the first quilt too. P-E-R-F-E-C-T

 When it came to the backing, I found a great fabric on the sale rack at the LQS that is a honeycomb pattern with pinks and purples. It couldn’t work out any better.

 For the quilting, I wanted to make a swirling pattern and used my drawing chalk to trace my lines to follow. Unfortunately, it won’t wash out even after multiple washes. I am still researching how to get it out, and I’m super bummed. Hopefully I’ll figure it out. For the rest of the quilt I used a simple meander, except for the border where I used the same swirling pattern as I did on the blocks.

The last step was the binding. I had a great two-tone pink zigzag fabric that was perfect for framing the finished product.

 

 I’m so happy I was able to put this one together. The original fabric holds a sweet place in my heart because it was used to make mydaughters first big-girl-bed quilt. Now I have another sweet finish that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment