Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Enchanted Garden Scrappy Quilt

 

Back in 2010, when I had only been a new mom for a year, Riley Blake put out this beautiful fabric line called Enchanted Garden. I’m not usually drawn to fall colors like browns, oranges, and yellows. But the but pinks and deep berry colors screamed out to me that I needed this fabric.

 

I bought ½ a yard in each pattern in the line… and promptly stored it away until I found the perfect quilt to use it in. As always. I got distracted and it got further and further down into the project bin.

 

 

Last summer, however, I decided it was time to pull the fabrics back out. I had always wanted to do a butterfly pattern and I’d finally found some inspirations to get to work. I finished that top and then had a bunch of leftovers. Naturally, I leaned towards a patchwork scrappy quilt.

 

 

I had one print that was larger than the others so it was set aside so I could make the alternating blocks with that. With the other fabrics, I used my classic 2 ½ inch pieces and made nine-patches with them. Using the measurements, I made a thin white border around the blocks of larger print to break it up a bit.

 

 

Once everything was pieced together, I debated whether to make a border. I’d used up most of the fabric at this point and decided it was busy enough without a border.

 

 

The last thing I needed was a backing. I found a larger sale piece at my LQS that was big enough for this project, and used the scraps for the binding as well.

 

 

I used a basic meander for the quilting on this quilt as I felt the scrappy nature works better with that look.

 

 

It came together beautifully. I can’t decide if it’s a fall quilt or a summer quilt as the colors and patterns throw me off. What I do know is that this was a fun finish. I’m so happy with how it turned out. It was worth the wait this fabric endured to produce this great finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment