Thursday, April 21, 2022

My Lucky Clover Quilt

 

When I first got into quilting and began collecting fabric for a stash, I found this really neat white-on-white clover print fabric. I was so excited as I knew it would be perfect for my Clover Quilt I wanted to complete at some point. Big picture; I wanted to make a quilt for each month of the year, and this would be perfect for March.

 

 

As time went on, I was distracted by other projects and beautiful fabrics and the white clover fabric was tucked away. I found over time, I am not naturally drawn to green fabrics. I like green, it’s just not the top of the list.

 

 

So, in my quest to clean out my stash, I pulled out this white clover fabric and decided it was time. I found a pattern I really liked (I admit, it’s the same block pattern I used for my hearts quilt) and knew it would work well. I just needed the green fabrics.

 

 

Last summer while visiting San Diego, we stopped at Rosie’s Fabric Shop so I could get some pieces to finish a few projects, including this one. There was a great selection of greens and I was able to get a nice collection together.  I also pulled a couple I actually did have in my stash, and went to work making the blocks.

 

 

Once the blocks were done, I made the stems. This was a last-minute choice. I decided I wanted to have one lucky four-leaf clover, and then the rest be three-leaf clovers. I used the darker colors for them so they wouldn’t stick out too much. I wanted the focus to be on the clovers.

 

 

I chose not to put a border, and part of them was because I didn’t have a lot of any fabric to make a solid border and didn’t think a pieced border would add to the quilt. Now that it’s finished, I kind of wish it had a border, but the start is the clover and I love how that’s worked out. 

 

 

I found a fun zigzag fabric in greens at the LQS sale rack, and knew it would be perfect. I liked it so much. I used it for the binding as well.

 

 

The quilting is basically a play on the clovers with some swirls. Then I just used a basic meander on the white to give the finished quilt some texture.

 

 

I finished this quilt 2 days after St. Patrick’s Day. Oh well, I’m ready for next year, and it’s been a nice spring quilt while I work on my new spring quilts for April. I am really happy with this finish. It’s a nice lightweight quilt for our warm spring evenings, and a bright beautiful switch to spring. So glad I finally got this one done.

No comments:

Post a Comment