Saturday, December 11, 2021

Halloween Candy Quilt

 


Doesn’t this one just look like a bowl of candies waiting to be collected by an excited child? When I was browsing through my mom’s collection of Halloween fabrics, I discovered several that were glittery. It felt only right to use them together in a Halloween quilt. And what better way to honor these bright, fun, yummy looking fabrics than to make it look like a candy bowl.

 

 

I knew I wanted to do a scrappy squares quilt, but I wasn’t sure what to put in the centers of the squares. Then I found this neat black fabric that had squiggly lines in different Halloween colors. Later I discovered it was supposed to go with the witches brew set from the last quilt finish, but it worked so perfectly to tie these glitter fabrics together I had to go for it.

 

 

Once I got all my squares and strips cut out, I got to work sewing them all together. These blocks came together pretty quickly, and soon I had a big stack of blocks ready to be mixed up and placed for the quilt top.

 

 

The color I had the least of was green so I really wanted to make sure I placed those all over the quilt. Orange was the color I had the most of, so it was a little challenging to keep a mixed up look. Of course, the purple was a great buffer between them all and once I was happy with the layout, I began methodically sewing them all together.

 

 

Honestly, it’s probably the hardest part of scrappy quilts for me. I don’t have a piece board for placement. They are laid out on the floor and I try to get done as fast as I can so the cats don’t mess it up.  It’s challenging sometimes, and sometimes the blocks don’t end up where I intended. I wish the greens had been placed a bit different, but it’s all good.

 

 

Once the top was done, I used the Halloween fabric that we had the most of for the backing, and did a simple meander in black. It minimizes the visual distraction from the fun part of this quilt, which is the glittery fabric.

 

 

I went for a solid black binding to create a simple frame and declared this fun quilt finished. I am so happy with how this one turned out. It’s everything “Halloween” I was looking for. Spooky designs, fun colors, eclectic pattern with a scrappy look. I Look forward to displaying this one next year for the spooky holiday in fall.

 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment