Thursday, June 17, 2021

All Purpose Shredded Beef in the Slow Cooker

 

That title might sound boring, but I have so many different recipes that call for shredded beef… but they’re all different. Sometimes it’s tacos, sometimes is chimichangas. Sometimes I want a sweet and savory BBQ sandwich, and even other times I want a well-seasoned shredded beef for a salad. You name, I want a go-to recipe that can do it. 

 

 

This is something I’ve been putting off. I’m not sure why but it’s just not been a priority. I’ve found Mexican style shredded beef, and occasionally I will make a plain shredded beef. It just didn’t have the flavor I was looking for.

 

 

I did some searches to try and find that perfect recipe. We all know how that goes.  I had no luck, but I did find a couple of recipes with elements I thought might work well together. I decided to do a “little of this, little of that” approach and find a good rub for the meat. I also decided to bolden the flavor of the juices the beef cooked in without overdoing it.

 

 

Enter the yummiest, most flavorful, most versatile shredded beef ever! It’s delicious by itself, but it also goes amazing with BBQ sauce, and with salsa, and with a stir fry sauce for an Asian twist. I love how this recipe can do so many things! 

 

 

The best part of it all is that it freezes too! It makes for a great quick meal on a busy night. I don’t know about you but our nights are getting busy again. It feels good, but it also feels good to have all new dinner ideas for those busy nights. Mmm… it’s time for dinner! BBQ here I come!

 

 

All-Purpose Shredded Beef in the Slow Cooker

 

2-3 lbs tri-tip roast (or other shredding roast)

2 ½ tsp paprika

2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp onion powder

1 ½ tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp chili powder

1 ½ c beef broth (1 small can)

½ c water

1 tsp liquid smoke

 

 

In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, chili powder. *You can add 2Tbs brown sugar for a slightly sweeter rub. * Rub half the mix on one side of the meat, then flip it over and rub the second half on the other side.

 

In a measuring cup, blend the broth with the water and liquid smoke. Pour about ½ a cup into the bottom of your slow cooker. Place the meat in the slow cooker and pour the rest of the liquid around the meat. I try not to disturb the rub too much and pour around instead.

 

Cook in the slow cooker for 8-10 hours on low, 4-5 hours on high. When finished, pull out of the slow cooker and shred immediately. Remove any large pieces of fat from the meat. Make your freezer packs, add your favorite sauces, it’s ready for your special touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment