Sunday, January 3, 2021

Birds on a Wire Quilt

After finishing the UFO #9 Sunset Quilt, I was left with several half square triangles and some scraps of fabric about the size of fat quarters.  I wasn’t sure what to do with them. Do I throw them away? Do I take them apart and save their scraps? Do I find another quilt to complete with them?

 

 

Another project it is! I couldn’t throw them away, but I knew if I tried to “save them for a later project” they would end up more clutter in my fabric pile that I’m trying to work down. I found a basic star pattern that used the half square triangles and then framed the squares with white to pull it all together. It meant a lot of white for this project, which I kind of like.

 

 

While working on this, I started to run low on white and looked in my stash. I was relieved to find a white that I thought matched pretty well and continued on with the project.

 

For the border, I used a fabric from the same line that didn’t make an appearance in the Sunset Quilt, and once again it felt good that I was using stash fabrics.

 

 

I finished it with one more white border and used the same honeycomb fabric for the backing as I did in the Sunset Quilt. They are both about the same size, which is pretty much an oversized baby quilt.

 

 

I finished the project with the same brown binding as the other one, and was proud to have yet another finish for the year. I did, after all, finish it in 2020 even though I haven’t been able to add it to my blog until now.

 

 

I fanned out the quilt with a whisk of air and let it softly land on the floor so I could look at my finished project.  The light from the window hit the white fabric and I noticed there was a yellowing color on some of the pieces but not others. I picked up the quilt and moved it into better light and realized the 2 whites that I thought matched… actually didn’t.

 

 

I was so bummed, but at the end of the day I realized it just adds to the unique qualities of the quilt. It was made of scraps from other quilts, it was a design that included an incorporation of other patterns and designs I’ve seen and used before. It was fabric from different makers, manufacturers, and designers. This is one more element of this quilt that makes it a great finish in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment