Sunday, March 3, 2013

Great Day for a Picnic

 I love this time of year! The sun is warming things up, but the mornings are still crisp and pleasant.  Things don't get unbearably hot, and the kids can run around outside for hours.  Wonderful! Makes me want to have a picnic, and of course every picnic needs a picnic blanket.


My husband goes through a lot of jeans. I mean, A LOT! So, I started wondering what I could do with all those old jeans.  The worn colors create depth and variety; I just couldn't let that go to waste.  I came up with this Denim Weave Quilt.  The back (not pictured) is all denim strips sewn together.  It makes for a durable quilt that doesn't let sticks or rocks poke you when you sit down (very important out here).  I only wish it were thorn-proof.  :P


This was actually #2 of 2 denim quilts I made.  I was pretty sick of denim after this and swore I would do no more.  Since then, I have found some more patterns I like and have already started collecting more denim.  It's actually pretty nice to work with.  No batting; it's heavy enough without adding more bulk or weight, and no quilting.  This one is tied together with a buttonhole stitch in thread matching the teal fabric. It's not visible in these pictures, but it worked pretty well. I was really happy with how it turned out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment